2000: The rise in popularity of the HE washing machine at the turn of this century combined with the removal of phosphates from laundry and dishwasher detergents creates the “perfect storm” for mold and bacteria to thrive in washers.
- Bleach had been the most commonly used laundry cleaner since the early 1900’s but was no longer sufficient to control odor.
- Even the small percentage of machines with the odor problem amounted to hundreds of thousands of irate customers.
- Mold and bacteria worsens and transfers odor to laundry and in more extreme cases the odor permeates the whole house.
2010: Lawyers begin targeting washing machine manufacturers with class action lawsuits.
2005: Leaving the door open becomes the standard advice to remove odor by removing stale air but does not remove the cause.
- We created all natural Smelly Washer Cleaner to remove odor-causing residue from your washing machine, dishwasher and laundry.
2010: Manufacturers add a cleaning cycle to their washers and joins the competition with a cleaner they produce.
- A cottage industry of washer cleaners now producing over a billion dollars a year to fix the worldwide problem.
- Other corporations jump on the soapbox by marketing aftermarket fans and even clips to hold the door ajar to lessen odor.
2015: Since we created the first washing machine cleaner in 2005 we at Smelly Washer Inc. have always contended the best way to clean any washer is to use a cleaner that can be used with laundry and after odor is removed to change washing habits that cause odor.
- The added bulk of the laundry will raise the water level to clean the entire tub where cleaning cycles can’t reach.
- Leaving the door open does nothing to remove the cause and cleaning cycles are a waste of time, energy and water.